It’s the time of year when many online publications release their annual lists of the “top” franchises. The Franchise Times is the latest to join the list, with its “10 Top Franchises to Buy” released on February 24. While franchise reviews like these can be informative in some respects, prospective franchisees need to take them with a grain of salt, and they need to make their own informed buying decisions based on thorough due diligence.
The Franchise Times ‘Zor Awards for 2021
The Franchise Times’ “10 Top Franchises to Buy” list (which it also refers to as its ‘Zor Awards) are unique from other franchise reviews in that the publication chooses a “top” franchise in 10 different industry categories. These categories, and the ‘Zor Awards winners, are:
- Indulge Me (sweet snacks and deserts) – Duck Donuts beat out Bruster’s Real Ice Cream, Handel’s Ice Cream, and Cinnaholic
- Puppy Love (pet supplies and services) – Pet Supplies Plus beat out Camp Bow Wow, Hounds Town USA, and Wag N’ Wash
- Guilt-Free Eats (healthy food options) – Tropical Smoothie Café beat out CoreLife Eatery, Clean Juice, and Chop Stop
- Clean Sweep (cleaning services) – MaidPro beat out The Cleaning Authority, The Maids, and You’ve Got Maids
- Cluck, Cluck (chicken restaurants) – Slim Chickens beat out Wings Over, Wingstop, and Bojangles Famous Chicken ‘n Biscuits
- Outside Pride (outdoor activities and services) – America’s Swimming Pool Co. beat out Grounds Guys, Lawn Doctor, and U.S. Lawns
- Spice is Nice (Mexican restaurants) – Pancheros Mexican Grill beat out Rusty Taco, Taco John’s, and Del Taco
- Road Warriors (automotive services) – Carstar beat out Tint World, Grease Monkey, and Mr. Transmission
- Lookin’ Good (personal services) – Hand & Stone beat out Amazing Lash Studio, The Lash Lounge, and MassageLuxe
- Get Caffeinated (coffee shops) – Scooter’s Coffee beat out PJ’s Coffee, Biggby Coffee, and Aroma Joe’s
The Franchise Times chose candidates in each of these categories from its own Top 200+ database. According to the publication, its Top 200+ database is both, “the only objective ranking available,” and, “the most comprehensive ranking of the 500 largest U.S. franchise systems.” To arrive at its top 10, the Franchise Times examined financial metrics, consulted with “experts in franchising” and conducted an online vote.
What Prospective Franchisees Need to Know About Franchise Rankings and Reviews
As you can see from the list of factors the Franchise Times uses to identify its top 10 franchises, there is an inherent element of subjectivity. Experts will have their own respective biases, and online votes can be influenced by franchisors’ marketing efforts. We recently discussed five important facts about franchise rankings and reviews; and, again, all prospective franchisees need to arrive at their own informed buying decisions.
Are You Thinking About Buying a Franchise?
If you are thinking about buying a franchise, we can help you go into your franchise venture eyes wide open. The process starts with choosing one of our fixed-fee franchise business review packages. To discuss your options with national franchise attorney Jeffrey M. Goldstein, give us a call at 202-293-3947 or contact us online today.