From day spas to 24-hour gyms, health and fitness franchises are easily among the most sought-after opportunities in the franchise industry. While the health and fitness markets are highly competitive, the strong brand recognition, site selection and operational support, and territorial protection that come with some of these opportunities make them attractive investments for individuals, couples and business partners seeking to tap into a large customer base.
Attorney Jeffrey M. Goldstein brings more than 30 years’ experience to representing prospective and existing franchisees. Named Finance Monthly’s 2016 Franchise Law Firm of the Year, the Goldstein Law Firm is one of only four national law firms to exclusively represent franchisees and dealers. If you are considering a gym, spa or other franchise opportunity in the health and fitness sector, or if you need legal advice for a dispute with your franchisor, we encourage you to contact us for a free and confidential consultation today.
Evaluating Health & Fitness Franchise Opportunities
While assessing financing options, site locations, and pro formas, it is critical not to overlook the legal considerations involved in purchasing a franchise. A franchise is a legal relationship established by a franchise agreement, which is a binding (and lengthy) document prepared by the franchisor’s attorneys. Franchise agreements are almost universally one-sided, and franchisees who fail to understand the implications of signing on the dotted line will often be in for unhappy surprises when they run into issues down the line.
At the Goldstein Law Firm, we offer fixed-fee franchise agreement reviews, and we can also negotiate with your franchisor. Some of the top issues we evaluate when reviewing health and fitness franchise agreements and Franchise Disclosure Documents (FDDs) include:
- Conditions on transfer and renewal
- Franchisor support and accountability
- Franchisor termination rights
- Mandatory dispute resolution clauses
- Mandatory supplier provisions
- Non-competition covenants and other post-termination obligations
- System standards compliance and modification
Facing Off in Health & Fitness Franchise Disputes
From violations of state franchise laws to disputes regarding territorial exclusivity and franchisors’ rights of termination, many franchisees eventually find themselves in arbitration or litigation with their franchisors. Our firm represents health and fitness franchisees nationwide in franchise disputes, and we have saved our clients millions of dollars in lost profits and liquidated damages. Due to the dispute resolution provisions in your franchise agreement, you may only have a very limited window of time to take legal action, and it is important that you speak with an attorney as soon as possible.
Health & Fitness Franchise Opportunities
A random online search reveals that the following are among the leading health and fitness franchise opportunities available:
- Anytime Fitness – Anytime Fitness is a gym franchise that was named Entrepreneur Magazine’s #1 Top Global Franchise in both 2015 and 2016.
- Retro Fitness – Retro Fitness offers low monthly membership rates to customers while claiming an average revenue-per-square-foot of $149.50 for franchise owners.
- Planet Fitness – Planet Fitness is a low-cost, 24-hour gym franchise that advertises a greater-than-25-percent return on investment in the second year after royalties and advertising.
- TITLE Boxing Club – TITLE Boxing Club has been named a top growing health and fitness franchise by Kiplinger and America’s #1 Fastest Growing Fitness Franchise by Inc.com.
- Pure Barre – Pure Barre offers structured fitness classes and has been ranked a top-100 franchise opportunity by Entrepreneur Magazine.
Contact Goldstein Law Firm about Your Health & Fitness Franchise
If you would like more information about our fixed-fee franchise review services or need to speak with an attorney about a franchise-related dispute, contact the Goldstein Law Firm for a free consultation. Call us nationwide at (202) 293-3947, or send us a message online and we will respond as soon as possible.
Disclaimer: The identification of any franchise or company on this website is not an endorsement of any aspect of that entity in any regard, nor should it be taken as one.